This week as been a stressful one. On Tuesday, they gave us our options for outreach and gave us until Friday morning to hear from God about where we should go. No pressure, right? I spent every morning sitting on the swings, eating my breakfast and talking to God. There wasn’t a time that I heard God’s voice, but we learned this week during our lectures with our base leader, Jason Solari, that only 7% of all communication is verbal and if we expect to hear God’s voice, we’re limiting our communication with Him. Sometimes he speaks in pictures, through other people, or just as that voice in your own head. It’s been so interesting to hear about how we communicate with God.
We talked a lot about Genesis and the creation of man. When God created Adam, He said, “it is not good for man to be alone.” God created us for relationships. Because of that, He also wants a relationship with us. And in relationship, it’s a two way thing- we talk and He listens... BUT ALSO, He talks and we need to be quiet and listen because regardless of what we think, God is always there and always speaking in a still small voice.
So this week, we’ve been working on hearing from God. We spent about fifteen minutes yesterday waiting on God to give us words for someone in the group- but we didn’t know who it would be for. We all waited and wrote down what we were hearing and then we passed a basket around and pulled names from it. It was so cool to see how God can work through people when we don’t even know who we’re saying it to... but God knew before we drew the names. It was hard to be confident in what I heard in my mind. It’s a very vulnerable thing to do- to just be still and listen and believe that the thoughts in my mind are from God and then also to actually tell someone what I thought. But it was a really good time and it was so encouraging to know that God is really there and He is really speaking. We just need to pay more attention to Him.
I waited on the Lord and felt called to a location for outreach. It was hard to trust that it was His prompting.. so I waited a little longer than everyone else to hand it my paper with my top two options on it. It was a really frustrating experience because it’s hard to determine whether it was God or just my mind. So I handed in the paper and we find out locations and teams tonight! I’m really anxious but I’m confident that God is in control. My school leader handed my paper back to me and asked me to pray about it again. I must admit, I was really upset about it and I struggled with God a lot. But a half hour before we were supposed to find out what the teams were, I heard :) And I am pleased to announce that in February, I will be heading to the mountains AND jungle of Cusco, Peru! I’m so excited! We have three staff with us- Joy and Jordan (a married couple with two [[adorable]] kids) and Hannah (who lived in Peru- her parents are missionaries there and we’ll be with them for some of the time). There are also 11 students on the outreach team... I’m really really excited about it!
Something to pray for:
Next wednesday, our entire team (nearly 60 people) will be traveling for 16 hours in a bus and two vans to a beach for a little over a week. We’ll be there hanging out and talking to kids who are on “schoolies” (aka spring break or senior week). There’s going to be a lot of drunk kids and we’re just going to be there to help out. So prayer for safety as we’re there as well as really breaking through to these kids would be great. Also, there is a bug going around on base- everyone is getting headaches and throwing up. Well, I shouldn’t say everyone- but there are already a few that have gotten it. Our leaders think it’s spiritual warfare going on here and we’re praying that we can get a cap on it before we venture on this long journey (16 hours with kids throwing up wouldn’t be too cool). So again, just prayer for protection and an end to this sickness going around would mean so much! I’m really looking forward to this next week and we don’t want anything that holds us back from speaking truth into these kids’ lives!
Thanks again for prayers :)
No comments:
Post a Comment