Monday, January 17, 2011

when waters rise...


This past week was a bit crazy. So much was going on in my mind. As the waters rose around us and tragedy hit the state, God began to rock my own world too. We had the privilege of having our school leader, Jason Solari, talk to us this past week about destiny and what our futures look like. This is probably something that I could listen to for the rest of my life... we never have our lives completely planned. But as much as I didn't want to think about what I have laid out in front of me for next year, I needed to listen and process. Unfortunately, it's just a long process and God and I are still working on that bit :)

On Saturday, we had the privilege of going into the city to help with flood relief. God really used this as an opportunity to open my eyes and think about what I'm making of my life. The drive seemed to take an eternity- enough time for a small nap :) But while we were driving, it was hard to get past the smells of sewage, rubbish and mud. There were heaps and heaps of trash out on the streets- things that business owners and homeowners couldn't salvage. When we arrived at the house, it had already been gutted. We spent the day with pressure washers and buckets of soapy water, cleaning off everything that could possibly be kept. Furniture, toys and hardware items were caked in mud. The flood had risen in their house to my nose! The neighbors across the street had water up to the second floor. As devastating as it was to see all of the damage in the cities and towns, there was more hope and spirit in the people than I ever could've imagined. People were walking down the streets handing out food and water, offering to help out in any way they could.

As I sat in the backyard, cleaning off the muddy toys, the question dawned on me... is this what I've living for? Have I been so caught up in the world that I forgot the importance of life? Why do we go to work everyday and save money up to buy really nice things that could vanish in the blink of an eye? God asks us to store up treasures for Heaven... so what would it look like if everyone would make that their goal of life- not to have all the best materials, but to have the best attitudes, to lend the best helping hand, to be the best giver that they can be? As this all ran through my mind, God hit me with the big question: Am I worried about what to do next year because I'm afraid that I won't have a job that makes tons of money for me to buy the material things that I want? What if I put that thinking aside and just followed the call that He's placed in my life. If I do that, and I work at that with everything in me, won't I be storing up treasures for Heaven instead of earth?

It was so impacting for me to think that way. So I challenge you who read this: step back and take a look at your life. What have you been saving up for?

No comments:

Post a Comment