Thursday, October 21, 2010

Well, I made it :)
I never thought it would be so incredibly hard to leave my family and friends for so long. I won't forget my last wave to my parents before heading to my gate. However, the tears soon subsided and excitement coursed through me as I got on my flight (window seat, woohoo!). It was a small plane, three seats to a row... an isle separating the first and second. I made small talk but then kept to myself. For some reason, all those first emotions came back when I reached the Chicago airport. But I was, again, blessed with the window seat and as I sat there and cried quietly (the man beside me was probably so confused), I prayed for strength. When I was praying, I looked out the window and down on the ground, the small lights of the city made the shape of a cross. It was so weird that I even noticed it... but that's what brought me the most comfort, and after that, I was alright :)

My flight from LA to Brisbane was a long one... fourteen hours. I never really flew for a long time before, so this was a whole new experience. The ladies that I was squished between were quite nice. The one to my right was and older lady... she was talking to me about YWAM and the church I attend. The lady to my right was very nice as well... she explained things to me about Australia that I wouldn't have known. I got some sleep but it wasn't very comfortable on the plane so I didn't sleep much.

I arrived at the airport around 6:30am where I met Nick, a leader at our base. We then met up with five other girls in my dts who also happen to be my roommates. They're all so nice! Katrina- Scotland, Jillian- Canada, Allie- Canada, and Kyla-Oregon. I spent most of the day with them and mingled with the rest of our team. I can't get over how different everyone's culture is! It's fascinating! I got my first Australian dollar bill too :)

We had a welcoming dinner... the food here is pretty much the same as at home. I almost fell asleep during dinner... this time changing stuff is totally messing with my head!

After dinner, we had a time of worship... it was so incredible. I love that everyone wants to be here and chose to be here... it just makes the worship so much stronger and it is so awesome! We start really getting into things tomorrow... I'm so excited!

Here are some things I've learned from the people around me:

kirby grip- bobby pin (scotland)

root- bad word (australia)

fanny- bad word (australia)

waistcoat- vest (scotland)

nickers- underwear (scotland)

trousers-pants (scotland)

panties- underwear (canada)

pants-underwear (scotland)

fannies in a bucket- for goodness sakes (scotland)


haha I absolutely LOVE the different cultures here... it's so awesome :)


I'm still missing home but it's not so bad here :) Thanks for your prayers!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you and I can't wait to read your blog updates. What an experience this will be for you!! I commend your courage and dedication. You and your group will be in my daily prayers.
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Erica! China blocks your blog but for some reason I could see it this morning on Barry's computer. Loved your comment on the 14 hour flight. We hate it too...and we thought driving 14 hours was bad. May the Lord be with you. Embrace the Journey! Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete